Worth the Wait

"The longer you wait for something, the more you'll appreciate it when you get it. Because anything worth having is definitely worth waiting for." - Anonymous

Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Embryo Transfer day 5

I have now reached the end of my calendar schedule! Looking back it went by fast but when I was going through it I thought this day would never come! I can't believe right now I have two cute little embryos inside of me. My egg transfer wasn't until 1:30 pm and I thought it would be in the morning. I thought the day would drag on forever but it actually turned out to go fairly quick. I was in a lot of pain from all the bloating and my chest hurt really bad(side effects from having so many eggs at retrieval(53)). I got up and showered and packed our bags for the long trip home. I had my daily whey protein shake and then Gavin's sisters made me rice bags with Lavendar and Lemon Oil in them :D Those helped a TON with my shoulder and chest pain. We went to Target and I got a ton more gatorade(the only thing the doc wants me to drink), whey protein, Fluffy socks!(thanks Becca and Haley), and a gift for my sweet sister who will be taking care of me all week. We were completely prepared for egg transfer. The car was cleaned and organized, I had a blanket and nice pillow ready and a relaxing playlist made on my ipod for after transfer. We went to Zuppas for lunch and it was my first time there. It was DELICOUS!! Im officially addicted now. We headed to the fertility center after lunch and arrived in plenty of time. We checked in and waited for a little bit. A nurse brought out some Valium for me to take. Even with the valium I was starting to get pretty nervous. I hadn't been nervous really up to this point for transfer but then I started thinking it through in my mind. I was a little worried it would hurt and I just didn't know what it was going to be like. I had so many questions for the doc about all the pain I have been in and wondered if they wouldn't do the transfer because of how I had been feeling.

A nurse called my name and I realized it was really here. We went into the procedure room and I sat in the chair on the side, the nurse smiled and said you're gonna be over here. I nervously laughed and eyed the stirrups. She left and I got ready. It seemed to be happening faster than I thought it would. I expected to talk about everything before I got dressed down. Dr. came in and showed us our first pictures of our babies :D I was excited to see those. We had 5 embryos that were ready to be transferred. A bunch that they would watch for a few days and freeze any that progressed. He then told us to choose how many we wanted to transfer. AH! I wasn't ready to make such a big decision. I thought it was already established how many were going to be transferred. We always assumed we would transfer two so it didn't take long for Gavin and I to decide. He said thats what he would do too. It maximizes our chances of getting pregnant and if we did have twins that they do really well. We definitely didn't want to transfer 3 because triplets dont do as well and we want a healthy baby. We could still have triplets if both embryos implant and one splits but its not way likely. 

It was kind of like getting a pap smear. It wasn't very comfortable but it wasn't painful either. They moved my head down a lot and so I was kind of upside down. There was a nurse that had an ultrasound on my belly to see the uterus. Gavin was sitting right next to me and we were both able to watch the ultrasound. The embryologist brought in two of our embryos and then Dr. placed them into my uterus. You could see the air bubbles around them in the uterus. They carefully scooted me to the top of the bed and leveled out the bed. I was to lay there for 20 minutes. Just Gavin and I in the room. I couldn't help myself and finally realized it was really happening. I have two little babies in my uterus. I had tears streaming down my face and I was so happy and excited. The nurse came in to give me some instructions and asked if I was okay and Gavin said yes they are happy tears. She held my hand and sat in a chair close to my face. She told me it was a great feeling to finally be to the point to where I was after the long road we have been on. She was so sweet and nice and wonderful. She went through the list of things that I need to do for the next couple of weeks. I have been so excited since the end of that procedure. Im so so so so excited. I thought I wouldn't be excited until after my pregnancy test in two weeks but Im actually very excited now! I have two fertilized embryos inside of me! Im so happy!!! Now Im just supposed to relax and take it easy. I am to be on bed rest for two days after egg transfer and then lift no more than ten pounds for a couple weeks. Also no exercise or doing anything that would make my uterus contract. I have read a lot of things on the internet and surprised when I found  alot of people say that there is no need for bed rest after embryo transfer. I say, why chance it. Do what your doctor tells you to do. My doctor has a higher statistic than the national average so Im just going to do exactly as he says. Its hard to be down and doing nothing for so long but really when I remember why im doing it then it becomes easy!!! Just relaxing and enjoying this time to think positive thoughts! :D 

I will know in 13 days if im pregnant or not :D yay!!! 

Love love! 
Gina

No comments:

Post a Comment